Friday, February 27, 2015

Very exciting news....FINALLY found a contractor to do my studio renovation and demo starts next week!! I have been straight out during my school vacation this week, cleaning out 2 rooms and the hallway. Two walls coming down, stainless steel work sink being installed, lots of new overhead full-spectrum lighting and all new flooring and ceilings throughout the space! Below are some before and after pictures of the clean out I had to accomplish! Will add pictures as the reno gets going!
A very full corner of the old studio....

After clean out!
The "study", ie the junk room!




Mostly cleaned out!
Hallway. Walls to either side are coming down! Old studio is on left, study on right.

Hallway cleaned out!
Some colors I am thinking about.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

First piece on multi blue background.
Have always wanted to send some work to one of the challenges I read about in my quilting and sewing magazines. These are three pieces I have started for a competition for a quilting magazine, called a "Readers Challenge".

The theme is "Birds of a Feather". Well isn't that right up my alley! With a name like "Robin" I have collected feathers since I was a wee one, have a feather tattoo on my foot, and already had all of these feather stamps carved!

Finished piece can only be 9" x 9". Very small for me! So printed up these base pieces. Will start layering them with the batting and maybe play with some applique......
Finished pieces due early April.
Close up of first piece.
Second piece on dark teal background.

Close up of second piece.

Third piece with hands.


Close up.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

More leggings!

Stamps and prints on leggings.

Fun leggings for a friend at school!

Close up.

Friday, January 30, 2015

Baby Quilt





The first of two baby quilts for some soon-to-be-born twin girls, my nieces! This was started with scraps and strips of cloth. I chose a color scheme and started stitching everything together. Then I printed with some of my carved stamps to pull it all together! All the piece work was done by hand sitting by the woodstove! Only the two outer borders were done on the machine. Next is sandwiching the batting and backing cloth and doing all the quilting, again by hand!

Close up of one flower block....

And another....

And another.

Some of the border flowers.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Thought I would try using some Thermofax screens for some printmaking. Hadn't used in years, since I printed in art class with my students maybe 20 years ago. The tech teacher at my school has a thermofax machine and has been screen printing for a few years with his students. So asked him to make a couple of screens for me. Combined them with some matching rubber stamps and printed on some previously dyed and printed fabrics. Love the results!
Rubber stamp and thermofax screen prints over bleach discharge leaf prints.

Thermofax screen print.

Rubber stamp over traditional silk screen print.

Rubber stamp and thermofax prints over dyed and stamped fabric.

Thermofax prints over soy wax batik.

Three pieces together look pretty good!